Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Language Incident In Hongkong

The incident that I had is when I was in Hongkong. It was morning and I wanted some fresh air so I went outside my house and had my orange juice. While I was drinking I heard shouting at the background and I turned around and there were about 5 people who were Chinese shouting in their language and I did not understand what they were saying so I just turned around and I realized that I was the only person that they were talking to because there were no people outside my neighbor’s houses. They were tourists from China and they were lost and of course I didn’t know how to speak Chinese because I’m not from Hongkong, I only lived there. I came up to them and asked what was wrong and they just started talking to me in Chinese and I didn’t understand any word that they were saying. After that I told something to them in Chinese which I don’t remember now because it was a long time ago and they shouted at me in a rude way and I started shouting at them as well cause people can’t just shout at you for any reason. When a women came she had an American accent and she looked Chinese, when she saw me quarrelling with the tourists she asked me what I said to them and I told her of course, after that she started laughing and I asked her why she was laughing but she was more focused on the tourists so I had to let go of my question. The lady was explaining something to them and the tourists just started laughing as well and they said sorry to me which was a very polite thing to do. When they were gone the lady told me that I said a swear word to those people and I felt bad but it went away when she told me that she explained to them that I was not Chinese and I wasn’t from Hongkong. I didn’t know that it was a swear word because a teenager told me that the word means hi in Chinese, so it is clearly not my fault or maybe it is but in my opinion, it was only an accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment